Nice Uncovered: Walks Through the Secret Heart of a Historic City
See Nice as it’s never been seen before in seven self-guided walking tours that reveal the true story of Nice. From the little-known stories behind Nice’s best-known sights to secret places that would even surprise locals, Nice is finally “uncovered”.
“I reference this guide all the time when walking around Nice. Beyond the historical information there are a lot of tidbits of interesting and spicy information about what happened where. The author obviously has an in depth understanding and knowledge of this incredible Mediteranean town.”
The 218 info-packed pages are fitted into a light and compact format. Easy to carry around for the day! Maps and step-by-step instructions make getting around a breeze.
- the Old Town, the vibrant heart of Nice with its crooked streets, cosy squares, baroque churches, bustling markets and jumble of pastel houses;
- Castle Hill, a scenic park overlooking the sea with reminders of Nice’s earliest settlement and the final resting place of Nice notables;
- Port Lympia with stately 18th-century buildings around a harbor;
- Cimiez, the hilltop neighborhood where gladiators fought, Romans bathed, the Franciscans built a monastery and Queen Victoria held court;
- the Promenade des Anglais, the seaside walk lined with elegant hotels reflecting the British influence on Nice;
- West Nice, the little-known neighborhood that was once a country outpost and aristocratic hideaway;
- the Promenade du Paillon a lush, watery landscape built over the Paillon river;
- the Quartier des Musiciens with landmark Belle Epoque and Art Deco masterpieces.
Marvel at Nice’s Art and Architecture
Nice’s architectural heritage is vibrant and original. Explore the baroque palaces in the Old Town; check out the Belle Epoque hotels of Cimiez, the Art Deco masterpieces in the Quartier des Musiciens and the stately splendors along the Promenade des Anglais.
Nice has entranced artists, writers and composers for centuries. Immerse yourself in the lives of Chagall, Matisse, Dufy, Chekhov and Berlioz and visit the places that inspired them.
Secret Sights and Strange Stories
- where the Germans built tunnels during WWII
- Nice’s first film set
- where the Knights Templar (maybe) hid their stash
- how the Baie des Anges got its name
- the old tub to wash hatchets
- cannonballs from the siege that changed history
- the arena where gladiators once fought
- the hill rivalry between Roman Cemenelum and Greek Nikaia
Fun and Practical
Vintage photos and drawings make it easy to compare Nice now and then. Also included:
- clear step-by-step directions
- tour highlights
- estimated times
- recommended refreshment stops (where applicable)
- an index (paperback edition)
- a bibliography
Nice Uncovered: Walks Through the Secret Heart of a Historic City is the only guidebook you need to understand Nice.